Sponsor your parents and grandparents
to Canada

Everyone wanting to sponsor their parents or grandparents to Canada must fill out an interest to sponsor form, open during a few weeks every year.  Only some candidates are favoured and invited to apply (30,000 for 2021) and both, the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications must be sent together at the same time.

Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent to Canada?

You must meet some basic requirements to become a Sponsor. You must:

  • be at least 18 years old

  • live in Canada

  • be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act​

  • meet minimum income requirements that

    • depend on the total number of people you will be financially ​responsible for

    • need to be proved with the Notices of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the three years preceding the date of application

To become a sponsor, you must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time. This promise is known as an undertaking. You commit to providing financial support for your sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they become permanent residents.

Grandpa Santa
Grandma and Grandchild in Embrace

Who can you sponsor to Canada?

You can sponsor:

  • your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption

  • in case of divorce or separation, you can sponsor your parents’ and your grandparents’ spouses, or conjugal or common-law partners

  • in the application, you can only include your brothers and sisters, or half brothers and sisters, if they qualify as dependent children

You may sponsor more than 1 person or couple if you meet the income requirements for all the people you want sponsor and their dependants (spouse, partner and children).

To show they meet the eligibility requirements, your parents and grandparents and their dependent children (if applicable) must provide:

  • all required forms and documents with their application

  • any additional information the IRCC may request during processing, including

You can’t sponsor:


  • your spouse’s parents and grandparents (your in-laws)

    • However, you can be a co-signer on your in-laws’ application

  • someone who is inadmissible to Canada

    • This means they are not allowed to come to Canada