All you need to know

about a Study Permit application

with a higher goal of immigration

Everyone wanting to study in Canada needs to hold a valid authorization to do so. This document shows that you meet the requirements needed to study in Canada, and can be a Study Permit, or in the case of short term studies (less than 6 months), an eTA or a Visitor Visa, suffice.

Who is eligible for a Canadian Study Permit?

You must meet some basic requirements to get a Study Permit. You must:

  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)

  • prove you have enough money to pay for your:

    • tuition fees

    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and

    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions

  • be in good health

  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country

  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit

Students in Cafeteria

What are your responsibilities as a Study Permit holder?

While studying in Canada you must:

  • make progress towards completing your program

  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit

  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and

  • leave Canada when your permit expires


Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

  • if you’re allowed to work in Canada

  • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada

  • the date you must stop studying

In 2019, Canada approved 58% of Study Permit applications, which translates to an extremely high 42% refusal rate, based on data published by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).